Every now and again your hair needs a treat, but top name products can be expensive, not to mention the price of having a salon treatment to repair your flowing locks. Though you might not realise it there are a few natural products that you can take straight from your kitchen to make some of the most luscious and natural hair treatments you will ever encounter.
For All Types of Hair
Though it doesn’t sound very luxurious, raw egg works wonders on your hair. The yolk offers natural moisturisation from that fats and proteins that it contains and the egg white is great for stripping the hair of unwanted oils and product residues.
- Normal Hair: Use the whole egg as a conditioner.
- Oily Hair: Use egg whites to combat the excess oil.
- Dry Hair: Use the yolk only as a conditioner.
Whichever variation you use you need half a cup of the mixture which is then applied to clean but damp hair, leave the product in place for a full 20 minutes and then rinse – make sure to use cool water for rinsing otherwise the egg will start to cook!
To Rescue Dull Hair
All of the products that we use on our hair leave some form of residue behind which not only makes the hair look dull but can also strip the moisture from the hair. To combat this you can use dairy products from your fridge. The lactic acid that they contain works to remove the residue whilst the fats deliver moisture.
- Use half a cup of plain yoghurt or sour cream and work it through clean, towel dried hair. Leave it in place for at least 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water and then cool water, then shampoo as normal.
To Combat an Itchy Scalp
Itchy scalp can be caused by lots of things, stress, diet and the climate to name but a few. To combat the itch and fight any flakes try using a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice, the acidity of the lemon juice will work on removing the flakes and rid you of the dry skin and the olive oil will moisturise all of the newly exposed skin to reduce itchiness and flaking.
- Mix together 2 tbsp of olive oil, 2 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 2 tbsp of water. Massage the mixture into your scalp (this works best when your scalp is damp). Leave in place for 20 minutes before rinsing and shampooing your hair as normal.
To Give Body to Fine or Limp Hair
Although you may smell like a brewery for a while, the yeast in beer will work to plump out your limp and lifeless hair.
- Use half a cup of (flat) beer mixed with 1 tsp of sunflower oil and a raw egg. Massage the mixture into clean towel dried hair and leave it in place for 15 minutes before rinsing with warm but not too hot water – because of the egg.